LOCAL AREA INFORMATION
Petersham falls within the Marrickville Local Council area. The original residents of Marrickville were the Cadigal people who lived in the area for more than 40,000 years. The Cadigal were a clan of the Darug people and spoke the coastal Eora language. Other clans of the area included the Wangal, the Kameygal and the Bediagal. They did not settle in the Marrickville area, but for thousands of years roamed through territory which stretched from Port Jackson to Botany Bay. Artefacts found around Cooks River and Alexandra Canal area indicate at least 7,000 years of occupation.
Marrickville, with its about 140 nationalities living in the area, is often
referred to as "the birthplace of multiculturalism is Australia".
Main nationalities represented are Vietnam, Greece, China, Portugal and Lebanon.
Petersham is home to many restaurants, cafes and shops with a distinct Portugese
PETERSHAM WEST TAFE
SATURDAY & SUNDAY
West Street, Petersham
The Petersham West TAFE is located only 200m from Lewisham train station, and 300m from Petersham station.
This TAFE campus is a specialist centre for courses for speakers of languages other than English. It is the only TAFE NSW college offering interpreting courses for NAATI (National Accreditation Association for Translators and Interpreters) accreditation. The campus has recently been fully refurbished and includes a new, subsidised child care centre.
TOWN HALL SATURDAY NIGHT
107 Crystal Street, Petersham
Close to Petersham train station, Petersham Town Hall is one of the few remaining Art Deco town halls that has been maintained in original condition. It is located about 500m from the Petersham West TAFE.
MINT MONDAY NIGHT
10 Macquarie Street,
The Mint was constructed at the direction of Governor Macquarie between 1811 and 1816 as the south wing of the General or ‘Rum’ Hospital (the north wing also survives as Parliament House). From 1854 further buildings were added to the site to accommodate the first branch of the Royal Mint outside England and this operated until 1926. After a number of other uses, the Mint became the Head Office of the Historic Houses Trust of New South Wales in 2004. The Trust has carefully conserved all of the site’s historic buildings (which are grouped around a landscaped interior courtyard) and integrated these with innovative and stylish contemporary function spaces.
UBD MAP REFERENCE
To take a look at the
street reference for
Petersham West TAFE,
click this link.
There is limited parking available at the Petersham West TAFE venue.
BRAVING THE TRAINS?
The main SSF venue at the Petersham West TAFE is only a few hundred metres from both Lewisham and Petersham train stations.